Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Reluctant Bride

22042696

The Reluctant Bride by Katherine Garbera

Defusing IEDs as a US Marine in Afghanistan, Monty Davison has seen more of the ugly side of life than any one man should.  That's why he falls hard for the pretty little florist in Vegas while attending a buddy's wedding.  She is sweet, innocent and full of life; completely untouched by the horrors of death and loss.  In a whirlwind decision he proposes to her and heads back to Afghanistan with thoughts of his life after the Marines keeping him strong.  But then, when he needs her the most, his fiancee disappears.

Florist Risa Grant's life was definitely coming up roses.  In a matter of months her fiance would be back from Afghanistan and they could start planning their future.  Then tragedy strikes and Risa begins to let fear get the better of her.  In a moment of panic she packs up everything and moves to Montana to buy her own florist shop and hide away from the world.  Except the world - or her fiancee - catches up with her and wants an explanation; something she is not quite ready to give.  Can she and Monty have their happily ever after, even if their life isn't exactly a fairy tale?

Confession time:  I didn't really like either of the main characters.  Both of them were wishy-washy and not very heroic.  I can understand the anger on his part and the fear on her part, but both of them seemed say they were (or weren't) going to do something one minute only to do the exact opposite the next.  The author did a good job portraying that there really are actual people like that in real life - I just don't find them admirable.

As far as the storyline goes, I found the idea of losing your footing over a first time tragedy very intriguing.  To be untouched by loss for so long, and then to lose your family in a single swoop is gut-wrenching.  I cannot say how I would have reacted as I grew-up understanding death and sickness, but I am pretty sure Risa's reaction is a pretty normal one.

Overall, this was not one of my favorite books by this author.  I really loved her Cowboy for Christmas, so I was disappointed that I didn't care for this one.  Still, I don't like coffee and my husband loves the stuff, so this is more of a preference thing.  Definitely give the book a try; it wasn't bad.

Ratings:
(1=unacceptable, 2=poor, 3=acceptable, 4=good, 5=excellent)

Continuity/Flow – 3
Sex – 4 
Language – 4 
Storyline – 3

Overall – 3

No comments:

Post a Comment